Skip to main content

CSO Bolocam 1.1 mm continuum mapping of the Braid Nebula star formation region in Cygnus OB7

Aspin, C., Beck, T.L., Davis, C.J., Froebrich, D., Khanzadyan, T., Magakian, T.Y., Moriarty-Schieven, G.H., Movsessian, T.A., Mitchison, S., Nikogossian, E.G., and others. (2011) CSO Bolocam 1.1 mm continuum mapping of the Braid Nebula star formation region in Cygnus OB7. Astronomical Journal, 141 (4). ISSN 0004-6256. (doi:10.1088/0004-6256/141/4/139)

Abstract

We present a 1.1 mm map of the Braid Nebula star formation region in Cygnus OB7 taken using Bolocam on the Caltech Submillimeter Observatory. Within the 1 deg2 covered by the map, we have detected 55 cold dust clumps all of which are new detections. A number of these clumps are coincident with IRAS point sources although the majority are not. Some of the previously studied optical/near-IR sources are detected at 1.1 mm. We estimate total dust/gas masses for the 55 clumps together with peak visual extinctions. We conclude that over the whole region, approximately 20% of the clumps are associated with IRAS sources suggesting that these are protostellar objects. The remaining 80% are classed as starless clumps. In addition, both FU Orionis (FUor) like objects in the field, the Braid Star and HH 381 IRS, are associated with strong millimeter emission. This implies that FUor eruptions can occur at very early stages of pre-main-sequence life. Finally, we determine that the cumulative clump mass function for the region is very similar to that found in both the Perseus and Ï? Ophiuchus star-forming regions. © 2011. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

Item Type: Article
DOI/Identification number: 10.1088/0004-6256/141/4/139
Additional information: Unmapped bibliographic data: C7 - 139 [EPrints field already has value set] LA - English [Field not mapped to EPrints] J2 - Astron. J. [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Institute for Astronomy, University of Hawai'i, 640 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, HI 96720, United States [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Space Telescope Science Institute, 3700 San Martin Drive, Baltimore, MD 21218, United States [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Joint Astronomy Centre, 660 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, HI 96720, United States [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Centre for Astrophysics and Planetary Science, School of Physical Sciences, University of Kent, Canterbury CT2 7NR, United Kingdom [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Max-Planck Institut für Radioastronomie, Auf dem Hügel 69, Bonn, Germany [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - V. A. Ambartsumyan Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory, Armenia [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics, 5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria, BC V9E 2E7, Canada [Field not mapped to EPrints] AD - Subaru Telescope, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, 650 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, HI 96720, United States [Field not mapped to EPrints] DB - Scopus [Field not mapped to EPrints]
Uncontrolled keywords: ISM: clouds, ISM: jets and outflows, stars: formation
Subjects: Q Science > QB Astronomy > QB460 Astrophysics
Divisions: Faculties > Sciences > School of Physical Sciences > Centre for Astrophysics and Planetary Sciences
Depositing User: Giles Tarver
Date Deposited: 21 Jul 2015 10:06 UTC
Last Modified: 29 May 2019 14:51 UTC
Resource URI: https://kar.kent.ac.uk/id/eprint/49565 (The current URI for this page, for reference purposes)
  • Depositors only (login required):

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year